Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ard Boyz Final!

Ahh... a bad showing... a dismal 15th place.

Well a tournament encompassing the entire US and I do get 15th I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Just got back for CHI-Town a few days ago and had a good time at Ard Boyz. Though disappointed in my placement I enjoyed my time. Had a good game against another Space Wolf List, a horrible game against a mech IG list, and finally, a GREAT game against an Eldar player. Both the Eldar player and I just said F everything, we are out of the running, lets have a good game and we did.

Was very happy for my friend Brad who Pulled a 3rd place, and it was his birthday so congratz to him!

So now no one actually cares about how warm and fuzzy I feel so lets talk about the specific army that got me to 15th place.

Logan Grimnar

Run Priest w/ Wolf Tail Talisman
-Jaws and Murderous Hurricane

Wolf Priest w/ Wolf Tail Talisman

Inquisitor (elite version)
-Null Rod
-Bolt Pistol

(10) Wolf Guard in Terminator Armor
-2 Chain Fists
-2 Storm Shield
-3 Wolf Claws

(9) Wolf Guard in Terminator Armor
-2 Chain Fists
-2 Storm Shield
-2 Wolf Claws

(9) Wolf Guard in Terminator Armor
-2 Chain Fists
-2 Storm Shield
-2 Wolf Claws

(10) Grey Hunters
-2 Melta
Drop Pod

(10) Grey Hunters
-2 Melta
Drop Pod

(6) Long Fangs
-5 Missile Launchers

(6) Long Fangs
-5 Missile Launchers

(6) Long Fangs
-5 Missile Launchers
Drop Pod

Ok so how does this all work?

Well the army is centralized around 3 core units of walking terminators. They are beat stick units that will win nearly any combat. When there is a scrum in the middle of the board they walk in and walk out. When lead by either the Wolf Priest or Grimmnar we have two units that are damn near unstoppable.

The two drop podding Grey Hunters are there as annoyances. They get all up in your grill and force you to react. They land smack in the middle of your army and go after something that looks tasty. Maybe a land raider, or several key rhinos, a PBS, griffins. Anything that forces you to stop what your doing and immediately kill them. Whats this allow me to do? Walk up 29 terminators to say hello.

All the while I put missile pressure on my opponents with those long fangs!

This army offers a lot on the offense but what about the defense?

Well first off check out the termis thats a lot of 2+ armor. And then I have 2 storm shields in each unit. Those shields are just there to mitigate the first several lascannons or any other long range low AP shots on turn one and two. Additionally I like to brag about this armies' psychic defense. Look at it, a 24 inch bubble of 4+ shut down, those 5+ rolls to stop a power directed at a squad with my ICs (don't forget Logan has one as well) and finally the null rod wielding inquisitor who just doesn't let powers cast on the unit she joins.

For example on my psychic defense, last round of the finals against the eldar play once I got my defense in there he got off 1 of 9 powers before the game ended.

I was happy with my list just unhappy with my performance, ow well live and learn and there is always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment